What is the Primary PE and Sports Premium?
The Education Funding Agency provides additional funding to each school every academic year to improve provision of Physical Education (PE) and Sport in primary schools. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. It is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
How will we be spending the Sports Premium funding?
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this. We believe in a holistic approach to the development of sport and physical activity for all and encourage collaboration and partnership working to make the best use of resources and enhance PE and sport provision in order to raise participation and achievement for all pupils.
In planning how to allocate the grant we have worked to the following principles:
- All children benefit regardless of sporting ability
- Children are given the opportunity to compete in tournaments with other schools
- Staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development
- Some activities may be subsidised so that pupils do not miss out due to financial constraints
- We make use of collaborative and partnership working
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers to improve their teaching of PE
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through improving planning and purchasing of resources to stretch and challenge
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
We will use the PE and Sports Premium money to contribute towards the development of our PE subject development plan which will include improving the provision of after school clubs, increasing the range of PE and sports equipment available to our children, supporting the teaching of high quality PE lessons and ensurig children can meet the requirements of the swimming curriculum. The impact of the PE development plan and expenditure of the Primary PE and Sports Premium money will be evaluated at the end of the academic year.